Language, strange, I don’t understand it
People talking in my mother tongue
With accents
Where am I?
Only popped in for lunch
Three choices of soup
Lentil
Is the recipe from that book I read
Big bowl
Large lunch
Will rest with me all afternoon
More strange language
Another English speaker
Greek, Italian?
Fast, garbled, unintelligible
I avoid eye contact, just
The rumble of voices from outside
Intrudes the calm of the café
I glance through the window
Men, old men, not like me
Of course
Sitting at small tables talking.
No cigarettes, no drinks, no food
Just talking
As I look the passers by catch my eye
Old Chinese women hobble up the road
Shoppers of all sorts come and go
A young woman in sari walks down the road
Where am I
Fat man at the table
Will he eat the table?
Jolly but odd
Talks to the waitress
Wants 2 minutes to decide
Then leaves
Must be time for me to go also…
People talking in my mother tongue
With accents
Where am I?
Only popped in for lunch
Three choices of soup
Lentil
Is the recipe from that book I read
Big bowl
Large lunch
Will rest with me all afternoon
More strange language
Another English speaker
Greek, Italian?
Fast, garbled, unintelligible
I avoid eye contact, just
The rumble of voices from outside
Intrudes the calm of the café
I glance through the window
Men, old men, not like me
Of course
Sitting at small tables talking.
No cigarettes, no drinks, no food
Just talking
As I look the passers by catch my eye
Old Chinese women hobble up the road
Shoppers of all sorts come and go
A young woman in sari walks down the road
Where am I
Fat man at the table
Will he eat the table?
Jolly but odd
Talks to the waitress
Wants 2 minutes to decide
Then leaves
Must be time for me to go also…
No comments:
Post a Comment